Sprinkle Dreams was inspired by the last bite of a chocolate dipped ice cream cone – ice cream soaked buttery waffle cone, hazelnuts, and the chunk of chocolate that sits at the bottom. So when summer came rolling around, we knew we had to make an ice cream recipe that went along with the bar! We use an old fashioned ice cream recipe and kick it up a couple notches with the addition of hazelnut liqueur and our Sprinkle Dreams chocolate bar. It comes out rich, creamy, and totally indulgent!
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup hazelnut liqueur
- 2 Sprinkle Dreams chocolate bars, chopped
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium saucepan and whisk until a light-yellow color and well combined.
- In another small sauce pan, heat milk over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Do not stir. Gradually add milk to egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Return to heat until it reaches 165º F, but do not allow it to come to a boil. As soon as it reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat.
- Pour custard base into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until it chills to 65º F. The longer the custard base chills, the creamier your ice cream will be.
- Once the custard base is ready, stir in the heavy cream and hazelnut liqueur and pour it into your ice cream maker and churn on level 1 or 2 for about 20-25 minutes.
- Once it reaches a creamy consistency, add the Sprinkle Dreams bars and mix in during the last minute of the churn process.
- Freeze in an air-tight container.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes about 2 quarts of ice cream. Recipe adapted from addapinch.com.