these cinnamon rolls really take breakfast to the next level. it has us asking why haven't we made these sooner? looking for that perfect brunch treat - or breakfast for dinner for that matter - this is it!
For the dough
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)
- 2 3/4 teaspoons active yeast (1 package yeast)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 2 Cheeky Cheeky Churro bars
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- potentially some milk to thin it out
- Add warm milk to the bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. You’ll know your yeast has activated if it begins to foam after a few minutes. If it hasn’t, then start over; your milk was either too hot or too cold.
- Once yeast begins to foam, add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and butter. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.
- Mix dough on medium speed for 8 minutes, or use your hands to mix dough. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- After the dough has doubled in size, transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
- Finely chop cheeky cheeky churro bars. Use your hands to sprinkle them over the buttered dough, then gently rub in into the butter a little. Tightly roll the dough up, starting from the short side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. Cut into 1-inch sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.
- Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9-inch cake pan. (I also recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well, in case any of the filling ends up leaking out.) Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. You want to underbake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, that’s why we want them just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for a 5 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.
- To make the frosting: Mix cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately.